[Ltrace-devel] No output on Ubuntu 16.10

Stefano Cristalli stefanocristalli at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 14:08:12 UTC 2017

Hello,

thank you for your response.
All the useful details I could think of are included in my Stack Overflow post:

kernel 4.8.0-42-generic
ltrace package 0.7.3-5.1ubuntu4 (when installed from package)
gcc 6.2.0

Another person in my lab was able to reproduce the issue by installing
Ubuntu 16.10 in VMWare. "ltrace ls" just doesn't work.
I passed my ls binary to someone else who is running Ubuntu 16.04 (and
doesn't have the problem), and even in his system with his ltrace my
binary doesn't get traced... so it seems it's something related to the
binary.

Meanwhile I checked with the command hardening-check if the binaries
are PIE... turns out they all are (the ones that don't work). So I
guess the user who commented on Stack Overflow got this right and the
problem is "solved", I was mistaken.

What I don't understand now is how you can have this working in a
fresh Ubuntu 16.10 install. May I ask if the binaries in your system
are PIE? What is the hash of your /bin/ls? The MD5 of mine and my
colleague's is 1d1ad8652015e47b8f45f450522c1a8a.

Thanks again.
Best regards.

Stefano Cristalli