[Megahal-general] Question regarding MegaHAL

Xiphos Fuhr <xiphos@rahul.net> xiphos at rahul.net
Fri Oct 23 21:28:42 UTC 2009

Anyone still here?

Long ago, I chose MegaHAL as the core of an IRC chatbot project.  It has
been beloved and running pretty steadily for nearly a decade.

About two years ago, I upgraded the bots server from a 32-bit AMD K6 to a
64-bit AMD Opteron. I found some patches for getting MegaHAL working in
64-bit, and things were good for a while.

Recently, the brain file seems to be hitting some limit. At around 596G
resident memory usage, 186M .brn file, MegaHAL will often core-dump.
Re-saving the file often results in the file becoming truncated and
corrupted, and MegaHAL starts spewing even more worthless nonsense than
normal upon reloading.

My C/C++ is aweful, and I have been too dim to properly follow the code to
locate the issue.

Any help would be appreciated.  I would be happy to provide the large .brn
if it would help testing.

Thank you for your time.