[Multiarch-devel] Architecture: all + M-A: foreign

Jakub Wilk jwilk at debian.org
Sat Dec 8 23:14:30 UTC 2012

* Steve Langasek <vorlon at debian.org>, 2012-12-08, 14:18:
>it might be worth considering whether we could instead solve all the
>real instances of A->B->C/D in the archive by converting all B to Arch:
>any in wheezy, and then just allowing the package manager to treat
>*all* Arch: all packages as implicitly satisfying foreign-arch deps in
>jessie.

If a Python module depends on an arch:any Python module, then it must
not be treated as MA:foreign. Otherwise you would get a dependency chain
like this:

foo:amd64 (linked to libpython2.7:amd64) -> python-bar:all -> python-baz:i386

So with your proposal, we would have to convert tons of arch:all Python
modules to arch:any.

--
Jakub Wilk