[Multiarch-devel] Proper upgrade path for lib32v4l-{0,dev}?

Gregor Jasny gjasny at googlemail.com
Sun Jul 1 14:04:55 UTC 2012

Hello,

currently my source package v4l-utils builds lib32v4l-0 and lib32v4l-dev
packages on amd64. I'd like to get rid of them sooner than later and
provide a proper upgrade path to multiarch packages. What's the best way
to achieve this?

As far as I can see this always involves manual action due to the
required addition of the foreign i386 architecture.

So should I simply drop the lib32 packages? The only dependent users of
these packages are Skype and Google talk plugin users. They usually
preload the libs via LD_PRELOAD. Due to the changed library paths when
migrating from lib32 packages to multiarch they need to perform manual
actions anyway.

Or should I change the packages from:

Package: lib32v4l-0
Section: libs
Architecture: amd64
Depends: libv4l-0 (= ${binary:Version}),
          ${shlibs:Depends},
          ${misc:Depends}

to virtual transition packages:

Package: lib32v4l-0
Section: libs
Architecture: i386
Pre-Depends: multiarch-support
Depends: libv4l-0 (= ${binary:Version}),
          ${misc:Depends}

Thanks for your help,
Gregor