[Multiarch-devel] Proper upgrade path for lib32v4l-{0,dev}?

Steve Langasek vorlon at debian.org
Wed Jul 4 06:01:19 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:01:28PM +0200, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > currently my source package v4l-utils builds lib32v4l-0 and
> > lib32v4l-dev packages on amd64. I'd like to get rid of them sooner
> > than later and provide a proper upgrade path to multiarch
> > packages. What's the best way to achieve this?

> Getting rid of reverse dependencies so these packages can be removed as
> unused, I think.

Definitely.  This is what was done in Ubuntu for the multiarch conversion.

> However, since lib32v4l-0 is usually installed because ia32-libs depends
> on it, and the skype-debian_4.0.0.7-1_amd64.deb package I downloaded
> from Skype's website depends on ia32-libs but not lib32v4l-0: maybe a
> better upgrade path would be given by letting ia32-libs-i386 depend on
> libv4l-0?

> The ia32-libs-i386 package depends on all libraries formerly included in
> ia32-libs (well, as far as they are still available), but not on the
> i386 counterparts of the various lib32* packages ia32-libs depended
> upon.  This seems like a bug to me.

I don't think it's a bug at all.  Any amd64 package that required those
other lib32 packages for operation should have had a direct dependency on
them already, there's no reason that ia32-libs should continue to depend on
them for the benefit of third-party packages with buggy dependency
declarations.

On Sun, Jul 01, 2012 at 10:27:34PM +0200, Gregor Jasny wrote:
> So to me the most appealing solution would be to drop the lib32v4l
> packages altogether and let those users that need the conversion
> install and configure these packages by hand.

That would be my recommendation.

Cheers,