[Multiarch-devel] multiarch cross build dependency resolution

Johannes Schauer josch at debian.org
Sun Jan 3 20:40:28 UTC 2016

Hi,

in #809730 Niko Tyni made me aware that sbuild is using 'apt-get build-dep' to
resolve cross build dependencies. This feature seems to originate in a commit
by Wookey [1] and later by Colin Watson [2]. I'd like to get rid of it and my
question is why 'apt-get build-dep' was used in the first place?

As far as my understanding of multiarch goes, letting sbuild generate a dummy
binary package of the host architecture depending on the build dependencies
which were properly mangled by Dpkg::Deps::deps_parse() and telling apt to
install that binary package should be sufficient, no?

Unfortunately, commit messages and code comments do not tell me why 'apt-get
build-dep' was used if hostarch != buildarch.

What am I missing?

What prevents a dummy package being used instead as it is done in the native
case?

Thanks!

cheers, josch

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/buildd-tools/sbuild.git/commit/?id=6083686e052ddf5a03b9e2475bd99152a9f6e697