[Net-ssleay-devel] IO::Socket::SSL failures caused by Net::SSLeay linked against openssl 0.9.8

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Sat Dec 3 06:33:56 UTC 2005

Hello again Florian,

On Saturday 03 December 2005 13:36, Mike McCauley wrote:
> Hello Florian.
>
> On Thursday 01 December 2005 22:35, Florian Ragwitz wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 04:59:57PM +1000, Mike McCauley wrote:

> > > OK, I have tried with latest etch beta1 i386, using the prepackaged
> > > perl 5.8.7
> >
> > Well, it doesn't matter what installer you use. Simply change the
> > sarge(stable) or etch(testing) in /etc/apt/sources.list to unstable and
> > run apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade;
> >
> > Then you're on the development version.
>
> OK, I can reproduce this problem now.
>
> The problem seems to be in the code inside the fork in IO::Socket::SSL
> t/compatibility.t
>
> The code expects $class to be of type MyClass, but on this deb, it ends up
> as class IO::Socket::INET (which does not know about issuer_name.
>
> I cant yet see why it doesnt work on deb unstable (actually I cant even see
> why it does work on other platforms :-)
> Il keep looking.

Getting closer now.

IO::Socket::SSL::connect_SSL fails to connect to the test server with an
error:
SSL connect attempt failederror:140943FC:SSL routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3
alert bad record mac

This causes IO::Socket::SSL::start_SSL to not bless the socket, which causes
t/compatibility.t to get an error trying to call a virual function on a class
that is not inherited from IO::Socket::SSL.

So, the reason why connect_SSL fails?

I dont know, but if I compile openssl 0.9.8 or 0.9.8a from official openssl
source on this box, then build Net_SSLeay against it, there are no errors
with IO::Socket::SSL

Therefore I suspect its some sort of problem in the debian package of
openssl0.9.8a.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.