[Net-ssleay-devel] Re: Net::SSLeay

sampo at symlabs.com sampo at symlabs.com
Thu Jan 26 15:01:08 UTC 2006

Matt Herbert writes:
> Hello Sampo,
>
> I am working on authenticating on wirless networks using PEAP methods.
> I've started working on Perl modules to handle the PEAP protocol. Part of
> the PEAP protocol uses a TLS tunnel (wrapped in PEAP packets, which are
> wrapped in Radius packets) to actually transmit usernames and passwords.

Effectively you are replacing TCP with PEAP.

OpenSSL can handle TLS to and from memory buffers. Then you just
fill and consume these buffers with your own I/O code.

However, the perl Net::SSLeay probably does not support this
out of box. It is geared towards stream abstraction provided
by Unix file descriptors.

At any rate, the Net::SSLeay maintainership and mailinglist
are no longer with me. Please see

http://alioth.debian.org/projects/net-ssleay/
net-ssleay-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org

 --Sampo

> I know very little about TLS, and what I am hoping you can tell me, is if
> (in your opinion) it would be possible for me to use Net::SSLeay to handle
> the TSL part of the connection? I can fairly easily take the whole frame
> of TLS data out of the PEAP layer ... but is there a way I can pass that
> chunk directly into NET::SSLeay?
>
> Any pointers you could give me would be awesome, and extremley helpful.
>
> Thanks
> -Matt

Sampo Kellomaki ---> Chief Architect ---> DirectoryScript
M: +351-918.731.007  F: +351-213.422.185  W: www.symlabs.com
Customize directories -> LDAP SOAP Liberty SIP -> Directory Extender