[Neurodebian-devel] [Neurodebian-upstream] Debian package for mpi4py

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Dec 3 22:15:10 UTC 2010

Hi!

On Fri, 2010-12-03 at 14:17 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> This should be the last post in mpi4py list since it is getting too
> specific for Debian...

Agreed.

> Future correspondence -- it would be more relevant if we move to
> neurodebian-devel list:
> you subscribed?

I think so.

> > my key, but this whole application thing kind of scares me off, so for
> > now I'll have to ping you every once in a while to upload.
>
> sure -- that is what I meant by "sponsor" ;)  and since Michael is
> nearly 24h as being a DD, it is 2 of us who could do that ;)

Maybe one day I will get to it... ;-) Sounds like a lot of effort to
become one. Not sure I really need it. Lastly I've been pushing packages
via mentors.debian.org and people there are generally nice and
responsive.

> by layout do you mean basic debian/ for mpi4py within that GIT repo or
> something else?

Of course I wouldn't object if you can create a basic debian folder ;-),
but what I actually meant is the layout that you use for
git-buildpackage. I am not quite sure where I should commit the debian
folder I'll be working on.

> what is your account on alioth -- I would just add you to our exppsy
> (old non-fancy origin of NeuroDebian -- Experimental Psychology)
> project team -- then you could initiate GIT repositories
> just send a 'join' request.

zaytsev-guest

(I don't know why guest, actually, but it should not matter. I did send
a join request.)

> and pushed my clone from SVN there, so now you could see/clone it:
> http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-exppsy/mpi4py.git

Checked out fine.

> I will outline details for linking it to SVN later on, although it is a
> matter of:

<...>

I wonder if this way one will have to push -f (rebase the master) on
each svn sync???

> from there -- spin off debian/ branch from the last release and initiate
> packaging

git checkout master
git pull
git checkout -b debian
git-publish-branch
<... add debian folder ...>
git commit
git push

?

> So, altogether, basing your packages on a 'canonical' way -- tarballs
> import -- would be the simplest to start with.

So one has to import tarballs into git in addition to syncing with svn,
right? Now I am completely confused how the two are playing together :-)

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev