[Neurodebian-devel] MedINRIA licensing question

Pierre Fillard pierre.fillard at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 16:58:46 UTC 2011

Dear Yaroslav,

Sorry for this late answer.

Thank you very much for your interest in medinria.

As you already know, the current version of medinria is closed-source. The
main reason of this choice is that some algorithmic components are property
of INRIA (my employer), who would prefer to keep them private.

The current version of medinria was more a proof of concept showing that
very technical elements could be used thanks to a user-friendly interface.
The code is not extremely well designed and could be a pain to maintain. For
instance, algorithms and user interface are quite interleaved, making it
difficult to release some part of the code public for the reason mentioned
above.

We are on the process of a major refactoring of medinria for the next 2.0
version. The new version will be modular and, hopefully, open-source. Only
"private" plugins won't be shipped open-source.

If you are still interested, I will contact you when the new version is
ready. We are planning to have a first release in October - there is still a
long way to go but this is for the good of science and software!

Best,
Pierre.

--
Pierre Fillard, Ph.D.,