[Neurodebian-devel] statsmodels_0.2.0+bzr1990-1_amd64.changes REJECTED

Yaroslav Halchenko yoh at debian.org
Thu Mar 31 13:51:42 UTC 2011

Hi Barry and FTP Masters,

I am planing to fix omitted in debian/copyright statements on code with
the next upload of fresh upstream release, but I am still not sure
what action should I take against datasets: whole issue with data
copyright-ability or not, and public domain deposition in many
jurisdictions  make me ask for your advice so I do not waste time
uploading something too trimmed or still unacceptable for Debian:

According to upstream's summary on the included datasets
http://groups.google.com/group/pystatsmodels/msg/4eccc35311b1f1d4
distributed datasets group into following cases:

1. Public domain (without any more specific "Dedication" statement)
2. (just one) Available for use in academic research.
3. Used with expressed permission from the original author,
   who retains all rights.

so, I guess,

1 -- should be fine;
2 -- I guess I am doomed to strip it... the author died (RIP) July 22, 2009
     so no way I could persuade him to change the terms
3 -- ?  would "expressed permission" be enough, especially in the light
     of such data being non-copyrightable in many jurisdictions

if it was for me, I would have kept all the datasets with adequate
coverage in debian/copyright which would allow better code coverage
in unittests and more adequate user experience.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.