[Neurodebian-devel] fresh wheezy-based NeuroDebian VM images (todo or not todo)?

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Thu Jan 10 19:22:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 14:00 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> yes and no.  Idea behind vagrant is very simple and sound but because of that it
> is obvious (now) and might be not clear -- why to bother?

Exactly.

> the tandem of a base VM image(s) + provisioning via puppet/chef is quite
> useful for many scenarios e.g. (if we divert from all webfarms)
> [...]

But of course! You're talking to a guy that is configuring single
instances with Puppet in master-less mode, so I don't need convincing.

However, if your box is already set up, then you do have puppet / chef
already working, if not, then include provisioning of puppet / cloning
of manifests in the kickstart / preseed or what have you...

> Moreover -- sharing... vagrant .box is a bit more than .ova -- it might
> contain already additional provisioning and setup  (e.g. ports
> forwarding etc), making it all nice.

Meh... Who would run boxes created by some guy on the interwebs on their
infra, except maybe for these guys with Rails-minded attitude towards
security? :-P But then again, Vagrant is written in Ruby, so... ;-)

There are multiple enterprise-class orchestrators for serious infra out
there, but otherwise stuff like port-forwarding is just not needed. I
can't think of a scenario where this would be useful for NeuroDebian or
NEST virtual machines.

> so altogether -- is it groundbreaking invention?  NO.  But it is a quite
> well done integration of existing technologies to address a variety  of
> usage schemes.

Okay, in the end it doesn't matter... Maybe I just got to hate the old
logo too much (if you remember what it looked like).

> yeah -- it should... although so far I have tried only to use it via
> vagrant, but that is what it was distined for originally  -- pure
> .ova's.

That would be great, but anyways, another thing that is bothering me is
the live media issue. I need to get back to your old e-mail and refresh
my memory...

I remember you mentioned some Debian-base solution for that. Last time I
looked at it, Ubuntu had some pretty decent mastering kit, but still it
was so much work that repacking released images looked like the way to
go if I didn't want to spend all my life on that.

> as long as you stay in Ruby gem/rvmuniverse -- it might be tollerable

Meh again :-)

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev