[Neurodebian-devel] Uploading pyqtgraph packages

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Mon Jan 13 07:00:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014, Luke Campagnola wrote:

> After my prolonged and daring escape from graduate school, I am finally
> ready to pick this up again. Here is where I am at:

> 1. I have updated pyqtgraph's debian/ files to make use of pybuild;
> successfully building .dsc describing 1 source package and 3 binary
> packages: python-pyqtgraph, python3-pyqtgraph, and python-pyqtgraph-doc.

fancy you ;) it would cost you though:  pybuild is relatively new and
not available on elderly ubuntus (there is a backport for debian stable
wheezy so there we all set).  But if you do not care -- me neither twice
;)

> 2. I ran nd_addistall;

what a good boy!

> three distributions failed:

hm

>    - debian-jessie and nd+debian-jessie both had this error:
>         I: running debootstrap
>         /usr/sbin/debootstrap
>         E: No such script: /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/jessie
>         E: debootstrap failed

easy one, just symlink to sid

$> ls -l /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/jessie
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 Jul 14  2013 /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/jessie -> sid

>    - nd+debian-squeeze had this error:
>         WARNING: The following packages cannot be authenticated!
>         debootstrap
>         E: There are problems and -y was used without --force-yes

forget about squeeze -- oldstable, and no pybuild anyways ;)

> 3. running nd_build4all on my .dsc generates this error:

>        dh_install -O--buildsystem=pybuild
>     dh_install: python-pyqtgraph missing files (usr/lib/python2*), aborting
>     make: *** [binary] Error 2

>     The path in question comes from the debian/*.install files:
>         debian/python-pyqtgraph.install:
>             usr/lib/python2*
>         debian/python3-pyqtgraph.install:
>             usr/lib/python3*

>     These were added because I otherwise end up with empty packages.

>     The error appears to occur because the dsc describes 3 binary packages:
>         python-pyqtgraph, python3-pyqtgraph, and python-pyqtgraph-doc.

>     In a successful build, the py2 and py3 files are all installed into the
> same fakeroot:
>         .../python-pyqtgraph-0.9.8/debian/tmp/...

>     ..but when running nd_build4all, each package has its own fakeroot:
>         /tmp/buildd/python-pyqtgraph-0.9.8/debian/python-pyqtgraph/...
>         /tmp/buildd/python-pyqtgraph-0.9.8/debian/python3-pyqtgraph/...

>     I suspect this causes dh_install to fail because it can't find
> python2.7 in
>     the python3 fakeroot.

hm - interesting if I got it right (too late now to think straight... even sent
out a google recruiter to f.ck off (politely)) you are claiming that in your
local environment (which is?) pybuild results in a different behavior than
while building in those clean chroots?

I am not yet using pybuild much myself, did for one package, let's see
since recently I have packaged (not yet uploaded) a little package, my
debian/rules was:

$> cat debian/rules
#!/usr/bin/make -f

DH_VERBOSE=1

export PYBUILD_NAME=husl

%:
    dh $@ --with python2,python3 --buildsystem=pybuild

and I had not debian/*install files at all

during debian/rules install

it built into .pybuild/ and then placed them into corresponding 'fakeroot's
right away, without going to debian/tmp, which is indeed usually a default
target for installation and then dh_install (using debian/*.install) sorts
those files into per-package directories.

so the most productive would be if you just place your packaging into a git
repository (better make a separate branch, e.g. debian which would sit on top
of releases and contain only additional content under debian/ directory, see
e.g. my pandas or anything else on github).  let me know where it is and
I would have a look.  First step would be to make sure it builds in a
clean debian sid chroot/pbuild/cow environment (nd_build4debianmain).

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org