[Neurodebian-devel] Adding a resting-state fMRI toolbox to the repository

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Tue Jul 29 16:43:13 UTC 2014

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014, Gert Wollny wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-07-29 at 18:24 +0200, André Hoffmann wrote:
> > On 29 Jul 2014, at 18:04, Yaroslav Halchenko <debian at onerussian.com>
> > wrote:

> > > well -- actually third alternative could be you just take those
> > > copies of
> > > fslio.{c,h} from FSL and  ship/build them along.  Very suboptimal,
> > >  some Debian
> > > people might get concerned, but IMHO nothing in Debian policy
> > > forbids it.  You
> > > could even start this way and later on we will figure out the
> > > 'ideal' way (e.g.
> > > #2 from above)

> > Great! If there are no objections from anyone else, I’d certainly
> > prefer to follow this path.

> Well, the real objections would come from FTP-master and debian-legal.
> The discussion I pointed out here

> https://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2006/09/msg00026.html

> mainly is about that the phrase "release into the public domain" might
> have an unexpected legal meaning, since the copyright holders reside in
> the UK, and there this phrase might have a different meaning.

thanks for the pointer.  My quick summary is that it boiled down
to having nifticlib in Debian main -- it just carries a bit outdated
version and binaries were not built, but sources were shipped along.  I
see no additional new provisions being added on top by FSL folks.

--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org