[Neurodebian-devel] Packaging policy for MATLAB toolboxes

Ghislain Vaillant ghisvail at gmail.com
Thu May 29 10:08:45 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-05-28 at 12:06 +0200, Michael Hanke wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:41 AM, Ghislain Vaillant
> <ghisvail at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>         Hi everyone,
>
>         I was looking for resources regarding Debian packaging of
>         MATLAB toolboxes. The only valuable material I found was this
>         wiki entry: http://neuro.debian.net/proj_matlab.html, which
>         acknowledges the need for integration of MATLAB software to
>         the Debian package tree, but does not provide particular
>         guidelines for doing so (yet ?).
>

>         I am currently packaging a library (ISMRMRD), which provides
>         MATLAB wrappers in the form of a couple of .m and a .jar. I
>         was wondering whether there is a policy somewhere which
>         dictates where these files should be installed. If not, do you
>         guys have recommendation regarding where to place these
>         files ?
>

> I can't help with policy, but maybe convention. Here is a package that
> you could use as an example:
>

> http://neuro.debian.net/debian/pool/contrib/s/spm8/
>

> and its free components at
>

> http://neuro.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/spm8/
>

> and here is one that ships octave and matlab support:
>

> http://neuro.debian.net/debian/pool/non-free/p/psychtoolbox-3-nonfree/
>
> http://neuro.debian.net/debian/pool/main/p/psychtoolbox-3/
>

> HTH,
>

> Michael
>

> --
> Michael Hanke
> http://mih.voxindeserto.de

I have had a look at the psychtoolbox and spm8 packages as suggested. It
seems that the convention is to place the architecture independent files
of the toolbox in /usr/share/matlab/site/m/$NAME and the compiled
binaries (mex files) in /usr/lib/matlab/$NAME.

Can anyone confirm please ?

Cheers,

Ghis

Does it make sense ?