[Neurodebian-upstream] PyNN + NeuroTools packages

Yury V. Zaytsev yury at shurup.com
Fri Dec 3 14:35:54 UTC 2010

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, but I guess you had other things to do in the
meantime anyway :-)

On Sun, 2010-11-14 at 16:03 -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:

> well, if we aimed at a single Live NeuroDebian something, it must be a
> DVD I guess since CD would not be large enough to provide a good
> coverage of NeuroDebian software.  Or we could provide a collection of
> themed live CDs (NeuroImaging, NeuralSimulators, etc), but I am not sure
> if it is worth it, since everyone probably has DVDs these days.

For the particular case of distributing runnable NEST it is probably
worth it, so it would be nice just to have to re-master your images by
throwing extra packages out from the list.

I know quit a bit of users who are working on LiveCD in production,
because they are not very much Linux savvy and compiling stuff is over
their head. They won't be happy to re-download the whole DVD every new
NEST release.

> hm, which one do you have in mind?  e.g. Brian was quite ok ;-)

NEST ;-)

> and I am not sure if I want to be controlled by corporations in my
> research (unless I am employed by the corporation so it would be in
> their interests to keep me effective, which is not the case obviously).

It's nice to know at least somebody living in the perfect world...
Unfortunately, it's not the case for everybody and some actually are
employed by such corporations.

> I am still not sure how you are not violating their license.... where
> could I checkout your MIT-licensed packages which do not distribute any
> NEST code?  Are they downloader/installer packages (e.g. like I have
> done for MIPAV)?

http://git.zaytsev.net/?p=nest-packaging.git;a=summary

There is only a debian folder inside. You have to download the sources
and re-build the binary package on your own. In the future, the binary
packages for a certain number of distributions will be provided by the
Initiative itself, which, of course, does not break the agreement.

> well... I can only wish them good luck I guess ;-)

Thanks :-)

--
Sincerely yours,
Yury V. Zaytsev