[Neurodebian-upstream] Debian package for mpi4py

Yaroslav Halchenko debian at onerussian.com
Fri Dec 3 19:17:15 UTC 2010

This should be the last post in mpi4py list since it is getting too
specific for Debian...  there is 1 question though  to Lisandro:

would you mind accepting attached .svnauthors file to keep in your SVN
tree -- it would allow us to "centralize" the use of correct Name
<email> for you within GIT repository (instead of dalcinl
<dalcinl at 5d389830-dc4a-0410-848b-d77abd4f2261>)

Future correspondence -- it would be more relevant if we move to
neurodebian-devel list:
you subscribed?

> my key, but this whole application thing kind of scares me off, so for
> now I'll have to ping you every once in a while to upload.

sure -- that is what I meant by "sponsor" ;)  and since Michael is
nearly 24h as being a DD, it is 2 of us who could do that ;)

> > We have filed an ITP but haven't looked at packaging it yet besides
> > creating a "proper" GIT clone of the SVN... I could push it if you
> > like so you could use it too to track SVN repository from GIT.
> If you can create the basic layout for me and push it to your host, this
> would be fine with me. Do you need my key?

by layout do you mean basic debian/ for mpi4py within that GIT repo or
something else?

> > Well, if you jump-in, whatever fits you best would work for us.
> > Only that we would really prefer use of GIT for packaging, but it is
> > also not too critical since we could interact with out via git svn.
> Nah, I prefer git, but I'm not the admin at Alioth and I don't have a
> clue how to properly convert my package to git (maybe even starting anew
> would be the right thing to do...).

what is your account on alioth -- I would just add you to our exppsy
(old non-fancy origin of NeuroDebian -- Experimental Psychology)
project team -- then you could initiate GIT repositories
just send a 'join' request.

Meanwhile I've initiated repository there with commands:
> cd /srv/git.debian.org/git/pkg-exppsy/
> ./add_project.sh mpi4py

and pushed my clone from SVN there, so now you could see/clone it:
http://git.debian.org/?p=pkg-exppsy/mpi4py.git

I will outline details for linking it to SVN later on, although it is a
matter of:
git clone git://git.debian.org/pkg-exppsy/mpi4py.git
cd mpi4py
# now I use that .svnauthors file local copy
git config svn.authorsfile /home/yoh/deb/perspect/mpi4py.svnauthors
git svn init --prefix=origin/ -s http://mpi4py.googlecode.com/svn/
git svn rebase -l
git svn rebase # that should fetch new changes on top of GIT master
git svn fetch # optionally fetch all those dangling svn "tags" etc

from there -- spin off debian/ branch from the last release and initiate
packaging

> In fact I don't use svn-buildpackage, I just update the package
> pdbuilding in the meantime and when it works for me, I commit the diff
> to the svn.
cool... there was also a description on how to use git-buildpackage to
interact with SVN mergeonly repositories (e.g. like python-modules
team's SVN repo)

> That's nice, I was actually looking for this kind of tutorials. I will
> watch the talk tomorrow on the train and hopefully it will help me to
> get started with your system.
well -- there was only a question from the audience in regard of
packaging directly from the VCS source tree (not from imported
tarballs)... in the light of taking care about DFSG stripping sources
etc we are still discussing with Guido the best ways/conventions
for that to make git-buildpackage capable to fully automate such flows.
ZZ
So, altogether, basing your packages on a 'canonical' way -- tarballs
import -- would be the simplest to start with.

> Hmmm... in the case of mpi4py they have public read-only svn repo at
> Google code [1], so I guess your second approach could work.
see above ;)

> If you create the basic layout for me we can see if I can find time to
once again -- what is meant by basic layout ;)