[Neurodebian-upstream] newbie

Yury V. Zaytsev yury.zaytsev at bcf.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Sep 23 13:07:55 UTC 2010

Hi Michael!

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 08:47 -0400, Michael Hanke wrote:

> That is not entirely true. The problem arises from the fact that there
> are multiple Cecill licenses and it is unclear which one is intented. If
> you could clarify that you are aiming at 'CeCill C' and not 'CeCill A'
> we are set.

Are you actually aware of an up-to-date link with a list of
DFSG-compatible licences? The link I posted earlier doesn't seem to
include this information, hence the confusion.

> There is a tendency in France to use the CeCill-style licenses and that
> is fine. However, if you are in the position to relicense to a more
> common license that would be a good thing. Most similar to the CeCiLL is
> the GPL, but anything like GPL, BSD, MIT, Apache or equally free and
> standard is perfectly fine.

We'd love to release everything under BSD/MIT, but the fact is that the
core developer (Samuel) is working in France and therefore is obliged to
release stuff under Cecill by his employer. I've asked him if it's
possible to dual-licence, but it will take time to investigate...

If your statement that 'CeCill C' is DFSG-compatible represents the
current consensus of the Debian project, I hope it's not a big deal for
Samuel to specify that 'CeCill C' is to be used right now.

Best,

--
Dipl. Phys. Yury V. Zaytsev

Bernstein Center Freiburg