[Neurodebian-upstream] newbie

Yury V. Zaytsev yury.zaytsev at bcf.uni-freiburg.de
Thu Sep 23 16:29:19 UTC 2010

Hi!

Argh! Now I had to subscribe to yet another list, since I started
dropping out of the conversation.

On Thu, 2010-09-23 at 15:20 +0200, Samuel GARCIA wrote:

> I don't remember exactly but I think it was CeCill B because I was
> using QT4 and at the time I started OE QT4 was GPL.

Ok, to make it clear, there are 3 current CeCill licences:

1) CeCill v2 <-> ~ GPL-like (modifications can be licensed under GPL)
2) CeCill-B  <-> ~ Old BSD (modifications can be licensed under GPL) [*]
3) CeCill-C  <-> ~ LGPL-like (modifications can be licensed under GPL)

[*] CeCill-B licensed software can be modified and distributed under
CeCill, and then modified and re-licenced under GPL.

This basically means that the "worst-case" obligations for all of them
are those of GPL.

---

Now let me clear something up: the claims of being "compatible" is not
what you think it is.

The statement "CeCill-B is GPL-compatible" means, that if you are
writing a program under GPL, you can freely re-use CeCill-B code and
re-licence subsequently under CeCill and then GPL.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#WhatIsCompatible

That is, it does NOT mean, that you can use GPL code in your CeCill-B
program, UNLESS you distribute the result under GPL.

---

Below is the list of licences of the software you depend upon.

You are right, that QT4 is LGPL now, BUT PyQT4 is only available under
GPL, so the whole user interface using PyQT4 should be GPL-ed. Whether
it means that you can still use any CeCill licence at all, is an
ambiguous legal question, but the most probably, the answer is NO.

The rest, I guess, can be legally dual-licensed under CeCill-B /
3-Clause BSD.

In what concerns BSD licences, be sure to mention a 3-clause license
("New BSD License") explicitly, not the old one. The old one contains an
advertising clause (which the authors of CeCill-B retained for whatever
stupid reason), which means that it's GPL-incompatible.

---

>                 Python 2.6
    * Doesn't have licence implications

>                 Qt4
    * LGPL

>                 Python Qt4
    * GPL only

>                 Python MySQLdb
    * GPL or Python (no implications)

>                 Python SQLite
    * Python (no implications)

>                 Python sqlalchemy
>                 Python sqlalchemy-migrate
    * MIT

>                 Python numpy
>                 Python scipy
    * 3-clause BSD

>                 Python matplotlib
    * Python (no implications)

>                 Modular toolkit for Data Processing (MDP)
    * LGPL

--
Dipl. Phys. Yury V. Zaytsev

Bernstein Center Freiburg