[newmaint-site] Announcement for contributors.debian.org ?

Olivier Berger olivier.berger at telecom-sudparis.eu
Tue Oct 1 12:28:37 UTC 2013

Hi.

Enrico Zini <enrico at enricozini.org> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 01:16:21PM +0200, Olivier Berger wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if the contributors.debian.org effort has been publicized
>> / announced enough on Debian lists. Unless I'm mistaken, I can't seem to
>> find anything on -devel or -project, for instance.
>
> Not mentioned yet, because the work on the site isnt finished.

OK, but maybe worth announcing the project/effort/workinprogress ?

>> I'm also a bit unclear about the current ongoing efforts : is the
>> nm.debian.org and contributors.debian.org meant to be the same app some
>> day ? Is there any coordination with the PTS rewrite (also Django based)
>> ?
>
> They are two separate sites, and the pts rewrite is another separate
> site: the three sites have different focuses: nm is to change status in
> debian, pts is to track work on packages, dc is to track all
> contributions with very coarse accuracy.

OK, just checking... ;-)

>> While it's OK if volunteers organize themselves to work on improving our
>> infrastructure (doocracy, etc.), and btw congrats for the good work
>> ;-)... I'm a bit afraid interested parties may be a bit neglected if no
>> one does promote the ongoing efforts...
>
> Sorry about that. After Debconf we mostly focused on implementation
> work.

Which is good : less talk, more code ;)

>> Now, to try and be really helpful, I'd like to try and help maybe in
>> working on integrating some WebID support [0] and evaluating its use in
>> order to provide some integration mechanism for various identities of
>> people around Debian, which could be helpful, I think, in the context of
>> contributors/nm/etc. For instance, I'm both obergix and olberger-guest,
>> so a WebID profile I manage could help me inter-relate these two logins
>> under the same contributor profile. Of course, WebID being based on RDF,
>> I guess this could be helpful to bring in some semantic interoperability.
>
> That is interesting, since DC is in the business of identity management.
>
>> I've started playing a bit on Django for some feature (RDF views) of the
>> PTS rewrite [1], so I hope I can again learn something along the way
>> (Python <3).
>
> In the DC model, you have identifiers (email, fingerprint, login, ...)
> that people can connect to their django User model. At the moment, login
> identifiers, @debian.org emails and @users.alioth.debian.org emails are
> automatically connected, the rest needs some more work: some things
> should be opt-in, some may need validation somehow.

Thx for the details. I think carnivore (from UDD) could play a role in
this picture... but still have to tinker with the whole stuff. And of
course, privacy concerns are important.

>> Looking forward to contributing to contributors somehow ;)
>
> Welcome! Let me know if you need anything.

Sure. Won't hesitate to bug you ;)

> I'll be visiting Berlin for 10 days and I just got a chalk cast on my
> left hand, but I'll try and do my best :)

Too bad for you :-/

Take care.

Ciao. Bis bald ;)
--