[newmaint-site] Matching emails of same contributor ala carnivore - Was: Re: contributors.debian.org milestones

Enrico Zini enrico at enricozini.org
Sat Dec 14 13:03:32 UTC 2013

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 12:11:06PM +0100, Olivier Berger wrote:

> Reading "OpenPGP Key IDs are not useful"
> (http://debian-administration.org/users/dkg/weblog/105 , pointed to by
> zack this morning), I tend to think that we may need to instead use
> fingerprints to avoid collisions.
> What's your feeling ?

Totally agreed. Identifier (in the contributors models) has always been
thought to include fingerprints only, where GPG identifiers are
concerned.

carnivore/keyringanalyzer.py uses key IDs because in the original code
it used that way to correlate 'pub' entries to their 'uid' and 'fpr'
entries. If there can be some other way (like if gpg gives guarantees of
always showing material from the same key grouped together), I'd gladly
ignore key IDs completely. I agree with dkg: they're just potential
vectors of attack.

Ciao,

Enrico

--