[Openstack-devel] Splitting the nova package (and possibly others)?

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Thu Nov 15 06:53:53 UTC 2012

On 11/14/2012 10:14 PM, Roland Mas wrote:
>   Hi all,
>
>   I'm still working on getting the HOWTO to lead to a working multi-node
> setup, and I think we have a problem with (at least) nova regarding the
> database configuration.
>
>   The recent work led to the nova-common package creating, configuring
> and populating the novadb database locally.  This works nice for the
> "management" node where everything gets installed.  However, for
> supplementary "compute" nodes (forgive me if I haven't got the
> terminology exactly right), the various nova-* packages should be
> installed but use the remote database instead.  The current nova-common
> package asks the user whether to configure the database with the
> dbconfig-common framework; if the user says yes, we're in business and
> the database gets configured locally.

Can't dbconfig-common configure a db hosted on another host?
If dbconfig-common doesn't, I think we should add such feature in it.

> But if the user says no,
> absolutely no configuration happens, nova stuff gets configured to use a
> (non-existing) SQLite database, without an option to configure a remote
> database.

That's the goal yes: let the admin decide and configure the db himself.
I don't see why this is a problem.

>   Based on my reading of the appropriate section of the dbconfig-common
> docs at [1], I believe the way forward would be to add two more binary
> packages for nova; one would be nova-localdb and create the database
> locally as is currently done; the other would be nova-remotedb, and
> would ask where the remote database can be found and configure the
> nova.conf file accordingly.

Well, after reading this, I believe we need to use the dbconfig hooks,
and prompt the user if we should create the db or not. Anyway, I don't
see how this could be a problem, because if dbconfig-common sees that
the db already exists on the remote, it will not delete it, and will
just use it normally.

So what problem are you facing exactly?

> It may also be possible to just change nova-common to ask for the
> remote database information if the user chooses not to create the
> database with dbconfig-common.

Again, I don't see why we need that.

Thomas