[Openstack-devel] Current status of Folsom packaging (partial)

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sat Oct 27 08:53:38 UTC 2012

On 10/26/2012 10:55 PM, Roland Mas wrote:
> - Ditto for Nova: it now also creates its database; it includes Debconf
>    questions asking for the Keystone credentials, and the packaging now
>    stores these credentials in the configuration files (no more manual
>    editing of files required).

And ditto for Cinder as well since yesterday night.

On 10/26/2012 10:55 PM, Roland Mas wrote:
 > With some preseeding for Debconf and dbconfig-common, the
 > proxy/management host can now be installed non-interactively up to
 > keystone+glance (nova-* will follow).  I have a script that starts a
 > VM from a snapshot where the prerequisites (mysql-server
 > rabbitmq-server memcached) are installed, and proceeds to install
 > keystone and glance non-interactively in a bit under four minutes.

This sounds really cool.

Few thoughts about what we could also write:

I think it's a very good idea to have a scripted install with preseeds,
like Roland wrote (please share that in the openstack-auto-builder git
repo), so we can check that everything installs ok. It would be even
more awesome to have yet another script that checks that everything is
working, uploading a VM image in Glance, creating a nova network,
starting a VM and mount a Cinder volume on it.

I also think it'd be fun to write some meta packages, like
"openstack-proxy-node", and "openstack-compute-node". Such meta packages
could also hold scripts to register services in Keystone (keystone
service-create and keystone endpoint-create calls). Bonus point if it
supports regions and cells... :)

BFN,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)