[Openstack-devel] Websockify has been rejected from upload in Debian

Thomas Goirand thomas at goirand.fr
Fri Apr 12 16:23:37 UTC 2013

On 04/12/2013 10:02 PM, Joel Martin wrote:

> Thomas,
>
> BTW, it might be helpful to think of the noVNC master repository as a
> "larger work". noVNC pulls together a bunch of other components plus the
> noVNC core code to create the noVNC project.
>
> Here is an example of one of the chains:
> - noVNC includes websockify (https://github.com/kanaka/websockify) which
> includes both server-side (websocket.py, websockify) and client side
> components (e.g. websock.js, ).
> - websockify's client side includes web-socket-js
> (https://github.com/gimite/web-socket-js)
> - web-socket-js includes SWFObject, the gsolo MD5 implementation, the
> hurlant crypto library, etc.

>From a distribution package maintainer standpoint, it is better to have
components packaged separately. This is also what the security and FTP
masters team are recommending.

There for, we have websockify as a separate package in Debian, and noVNC
no longer needs to embed its own version of /usr/bin/websockify and
/usr/bin/rebind.

That just make me think that websockify has just been approved by the
FTP masters, and that:
- I forgot to add Breaks: + Conflicts: on noVNC
- I should upload a new version of noVNC without websockify

as otherwise, things will break badly. I'll be doing that right now.

> I've filed a pull request with gimite to include the original source for
> swfobject.js: https://github.com/gimite/web-socket-js/pull/135 Once he
> pulls that in I will update the noVNC tree to reflect that.
>
> I've also added a git submodule to point to the original web-socket-js
> tree to both noVNC and websockify.

Thanks a lot man! That really goes to the right direction.

> I've also added the git submodule link to the
> version of his tree that the current swf file is built from. If that's
> not sufficient (my read of the DFSG is that it should be sufficient),
> then yes, you'll probably need to maintain the separate dfsg tree for
> Debian.

The problem is that it might not be possible to build the swf file from
source (if it needs flex, which I believe is still not in Debian).

Cheers,

Thomas

P.S: Thanks for your nice words in your PS! :)