[Openstack-devel] Debian packages for ftp-cloudfs and sftpcloudfs

Juan J. Martinez juan at memset.com
Tue Feb 5 09:14:38 UTC 2013

On 05/02/13 08:48, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> [...]
>
> Now, the only problem left is that when I start sftpcloudfs, I have the
> message that there's no auth-url directive, but I have no idea what to
> put in it. Is this the URL of a keystone endpoint? Could this be
> documented better? If I enter something, but there's no real server
> behind it, will sftpcloudfs start anyway? I'm not confident to upload
> without testing it first, so please do. Also, would it make sense to use
> debconf to configure this auth-url directive? I can do that if you think
> it's a good idea (I do...). If we go that way, please review this
> template (review it keeping in mind that a newbie who doesn't know
> SFTPCloudFS should be able to understand what to type):
>
> Template: sftpcloudfs/auth-url
> Type: string
>  In order to authenticate it's users, SFTPCloudFS needs to connect to an
> authentication server (eg RackSpace Cloud Files, OpenStack). Enter the
> URL of that server.

It is the authentication URL and it's usually provided by the cloud
storage provider (Rackspace, Memset, ... your own OpenStack Object
Storage instance).

ftp-cloudfs uses Rackspace auth URL by default, that's why it *works*
"by default". My employer offers a cloud storage solution and I didn't
develop sftp-cloudfs using Cloud Files so I didn't use that as default.

Take a look to (it's for ftp-cloudfs, but it's the same for sftp-cloudfs):

https://github.com/chmouel/ftp-cloudfs/wiki/QuickStart

... in "Basic configuration" there is a description of the auth URL and
some examples.

Just let me clarify that it's not Auth 2.0 (what you call Keystone; we
have an experimental branch for that in ftp-cloudfs), it's Auth 1.0.

I can see two different actions here:

  - I can definitely improve the documentation on this part.
  - Use Cloud Files auth URL as default (same than ftp-cloudfs).

I'll make a ticket so I don't forget :)

> Later on, it's probable that the Debian internationalization team will
> also have a look and change that Debconf template.
>
> Last thing, you will find in both ftp-cloudfs and sftpcloudfs, in the
> Debian folder, a man page for the daemon. I wrote be using what could
> see in the README.md. Best would be if you could take that man page out
> of the Debian folder, and put it in your upstream branch, so it wont be
> a debian specific patch. Please also review the page to make sure I
> didn't do any mistake.

I'll have to do some research about that. We use setuptools to
distribute the projects and I think there's no standard way of
distributing man pages.

Your man pages look OK to me.

> I think that's it. When you've tested the Debian package and we have the
> auth-url thing for sftpcloudfs, I will be able to upload.

Let me know if you need more info about that.

Kind regards,

Juan