[PKG-Openstack-devel] python-memcache and Python3 support

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 9 10:37:43 UTC 2014

Hi Carl,

Over the last months, we've been working on adding support for Python3
in python-memcache. This finally got approved upstream in the Git:

https://github.com/linsomniac/python-memcached/commits/master

This Python3 support in memcache is the last block of a huge puzzle for
OpenStack to support Python3. It was missing for python-keystoneclient,
which in turns, was needed for all the rest of OpenStack:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3

Ultimately, we want all of OpenStack to switch to Python3.

Therefore, I have worked out a new version of python-memcache using
latest commit from upstream. It is available from here:

http://xen01.node0184.gplhost.com/python-memcache/

Note that the orig.tar.gz was built using "git archive". Something like
this (after I added a new tag on the last commit):

git archive --prefix=$(DEBPKGNAME)-$(VERSION)/ $(GIT_TAG) \
	| xz >../$(DEBPKGNAME)_$(VERSION).orig.tar.xz

You can also see individual Git commit against the Python module team
SVN repository (I use git-svn...).

Since I'm not an uploader on the package yet, is it ok for you if:
- I upload these changes in the SVN
- I upload the package in Sid
- I add myself as an uploader for python-memcache

If you think that's preferable, I can upload the package to experimental
first (though I think uploading to Sid should be ok). Just let me know.

Alternatively, of course, you can do the work yourself, of course,
though I'd appreciate to have a quick answer on this (as it's blocking
all the rest of the Python3 support I'm working on).

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)