[PKG-Openstack-devel] Allow selecting log destination for Glance daemons

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Jun 23 14:48:19 UTC 2014

On 06/23/2014 06:34 PM, Julien Danjou wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23 2014, Sylvain Baubeau wrote:
>
>> In a previous patch set, I modified the upstart/SysV scripts for the
>> daemons that had their log destination hardcoded in their init
>> scripts. This set applies the same behaviour to the rest of the
>> Openstack daemons so that all the daemon behave in a consistent way.
>
> Everything passed on the command line is also configurable via the
> configuration file of the daemon AFAIK. What's the point of using the
> init script for that instead?

The point is, multiple daemons may share a single configuration file.
This may be not the case for Glance, but it is the case for many other
services like Neutron or Nova. Therefore, each daemon must be configured
through the command line. And for that, we just use stuff in
/etc/default. This way, we cover all cases, and it's easy enough to
configure. There's also the choice of using /etc/default/openstack to
have a general configuration for everything (let's say, if you just want
to activate syslog logging), or through /etc/default/<daemon-name>.

I hope you understand better why we did this design choice now.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)