[PKG-Openstack-devel] [MoM] Packaging manila

Malihe Asemani ml.asemani at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 21:29:38 UTC 2015

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 2:13 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu> wrote:

> Hi Malihe,
>
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2015 at 12:04:12AM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> > > Please see the attached log from IRC.  Zigo will add our IDs to enable
> > > us commiting to debian-openstack Git.
> >
> > The users is added. thank you and thanks Zigo :)
>
> Same for me.  Thanks Zigo.

> > How can I add the source code there? I think some one should create
> manila
> > git-repo on the server, as first step.
>
> This "someone" can be any member of the team - in other words you can do
> it yourself.

I couldn't even guess I have the permission to create an official git repo
on the server :P. I though permissions are so limited for newcomers. Thanks
for the hint.

> In the teams where I'm involved exists a setup-repository
> script.  I took the freedom to cut-n-paste from Debian Med and created
>
>     /git/openstack/setup-repository
>
> If you call it you get a usage hint.  You can use as package string the
> name of the source package and as description the short description of
> the binary package (make sure to put it into quotes).  This will create
> a bare Git repository.  The teams I'm involved in use a commit mailing
> list that forwards all commits.  I consider this *really* practical -
> perhaps this is a bit competing to gerrit which Zigo had in mind.  But
> For the mentoring it helps a lot since I'm simply informed about any
> commit and can react promptly.  I left the code to set this up commented
> inside the script.
>
> Zigo, what do you think about an openstack-commit mailing list.  We
> could simply copy the hooks from Debian Med.  It also installs KGB which
> forwards the commits to the IRC channel.
>
> > Or maybe I should request a personal
> > repo as first step and push the code there ?
>
> No, I think a usual repository is the best way to go.  If you want to
> become a fully qualified team member of the OpenStack team I see no
> reason to start in a sandbox. :-)
>
> Please try the script and tell me if anything might create trouble.
>
> Every thing is okay.
I created the repository using the script, and pushed the source code of
current-stable release of Manila on Master branch. There is a newer version
of Manila on Ubuntu repository too. which one is the best? current stable
one
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/manila/2014.1~git20140220-0ubuntu13> on
Utopic, or pre-release one
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/manila/2015.1~b3-0ubuntu1> on Vivid?
I should mention that I left the commented (hook-related) lines in
/git/openstack/setup-repository script unchanged.

BTW, I read that there are different branches on Debian git repo for
upstream, and Debian releases. Despite all of these, I have uploaded the
Ubuntu source-code of Manila on our Master branch. Is that OK?

Hope this helps

> It was quit helpful. Thanks
Mali

>      Andreas.