[PKG-Openstack-devel] [MoM] Packaging manila

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Apr 30 14:11:39 UTC 2015

Hi Malihe,

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 01:51:15AM +0430, Malihe Asemani wrote:
> I did all of the mentioned steps. The attached file shows the process and
> results on my system.
>
> About remote/origin, I cloned your (and my manila_Mali) repo. Remote/origin
> is set to git.debian.org when you check remotes on cloned repo, although
> the config file on server still shows a local location as remote/origin
>
> root at mali-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z410:/git/debian/Debian-ops# gbp-clone ssh://
> git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila_Mali.git

I was able to clone this.

One first important remark:  Please never ever do your packaging work as
root.  All steps you do should be done by a normal user.

> root at mali-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z410:/git/debian/Debian-ops/manila_Mali# git
> remote -v
> origin    ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila_Mali.git (fetch)
> origin    ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila_Mali.git (push)

OK, I simply edited my .git/config file accordingly to get

manila(debian/kilo) $ git remote -v
origin  ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila.git (fetch)
origin  ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila.git (push)

as well.

> mali-guest at moszumanska:~$ cat /git/openstack/manila_Mali.git/config
> [core]
>     repositoryformatversion = 0
>     filemode = true
>     bare = true
>     sharedRepository = group
> [remote "origin"]
>     url = /git/manila_Mali
>
> Also, I tested to add some files to my repo and push them to git. It works
> correctly.

I noticed that you edited the Maintainer field of debian/control as well
as adding debian/gbp.conf.  That's good.

> root at mali-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z410:/git/debian/Debian-ops/manila_Mali# git
> commit debian/control debian/watch -m "Change Maintainer and Convert
> whatching url to github"
> [debian/kilo 11a7258] Change Maintainer and Convert whatching url to github
> root at mali-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z410:/git/debian/Debian-ops/TestingDir/manila_Mali#
> git push
> Enter passphrase for key '/root/.ssh/id_rsa_debian_2':
> Counting objects: 9, done.
> Delta compression using up to 8 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (5/5), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (5/5), 619 bytes | 0 bytes/s, done.
> Total 5 (delta 3), reused 0 (delta 0)
> To ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila_Mali.git
>    5cf93c8..11a7258  debian/kilo -> debian/kilo

I'd like to repeat: Please never use your root account.
Moreover I'd suggest to use ssh-agent to not need to provide the
password all the time.  If you once use

    ssh-add ${HOME}/.ssh/id_rsa_debian_2

this should do the trick.

> root at mali-Lenovo-IdeaPad-Z410:/git/manila_Mali# git tag
> 2014.2
> 2014.2.b3
> 2014.2.rc1
> 2014.2.rc2
> 2015.1.0b1
> 2015.1.0b2
> 2015.1.0b3
> 2015.1.0rc1
> 2015.1.0rc2
>
> #I removed tag 2015.1.0rc2 because the last stable version of Manila in ubuntu is tag 2015.1.0rc1.

Ahhh, I see your intention.  However, we do not want to package the last
stable version of Manila in Ubuntu but rather the last stable version
provided by *upstream*.  (I hope you are comfortable with the Debian
"slang" that upstream are the authors of the software we are packaging.)

> #I guess as the first step, it is better to work with the same version which is used in Ubuntu.

I do not see any advantage in this - neither for learning the packaging
(assume we would start from scratch we would have no orientation like
this) nor for the result (why packaging old software and how should
Ubuntu profit from our work if they do just have what we are working on)

> #After first release of manila*.deb packages for Debian, we can pull other commits on Manila and merge them too.
> #What do you think about this aproach?

I see you point but lets be a bit more brave. ;-)

The other things are looking good so far.  Would you agree with my
arguments for taking the last upstream version?  If yes, you have
two options.  Either you use as I suggested

   gbp-clone ssh://git.debian.org/git/openstack/manila.git

and continue to work from here or you redo what you did but stick
to the latest tag.  This should give you the same repository.

The next step should be to use git-buildpackage.  Did you tried this
on your repository?  Did you also run into

dpkg-buildpackage: warning: this is currently a non-fatal warning with -S, but will probably become fatal in the future
 fakeroot debian/rules clean
debian/rules:6: /usr/share/openstack-pkg-tools/pkgos.make: No such file or directory
dh /usr/share/openstack-pkg-tools/pkgos.make --with python2,systemd
dh: unable to load addon systemd: Can't locate Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/systemd.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Debian::Debhelper::Sequence::systemd module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.20.2 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.20 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.20 /usr/share/perl/5.20 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at (eval 12) line 2.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at (eval 12) line 2.

If yes, what's your take on fixing this.  I could provide a simple clue
for this but I would like you to reproduce this kind of steps and learn
the ways to solve it.

Kind regards

     Andreas.

--