[PKG-Openstack-devel] liberasurecode/pyeclib v1.0.8

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Aug 5 09:33:24 UTC 2015

Hi,

First of all, thanks for this new release.

Let me give a few comments.

1/ Embedded liberasurecode

On 08/05/2015 10:04 AM, Gohad, Tushar wrote:
> PS:  Please note we have eliminated the "v1.0.8m" style tag altogether
> - there is only one version now, with integrated liberasurecode (this
> is still required for Openstack CI) - we may be able to get rid of the
> integrated version if we can get liberasurecode-1.0.8 installed on the
> Openstack Jenkins slave image by default.

This isn't good at all. The OpenStack CI gate shouldn't dictate the way
you release things. If the gate is broken, fix the gate, don't break the
packaging just to fix the gate. Maybe adding some options just for the
gate would do? That'd be best, because the OpenStack gate should be
considered the exception, and not the general use case.

Lucky, with a few patches, it doesn't seem to try building
liberasurecode when I build pyeclib 1.0.8. I have attached the patches
which I currently use in the PyECLib package. Please consider having a
way to integrate these patches upstream (an option to setup.py would do,
I'd just add this option to my debian/rules).

2/ rpath tweaks

You will notice that I'm removing all the tweaks you're doing with the
runtime library path. It is forbidden by the Debian policy to play with
that, and for good reasons. Please see this document:

https://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#rpath

(specifically this rpath section, but it's nice if you can take the time
to read all of the doc)

3/ Redefine of MINOR / MAJOR

There's also this problem:

In file included from /usr/include/liberasurecode/erasurecode.h:34:0,
                 from src/c/pyeclib_c/pyeclib_c.c:32:
/usr/include/liberasurecode/erasurecode_version.h:28:0: warning: "MAJOR"
redefined
 #define MAJOR 0
 ^
<command-line>:0:0: note: this is the location of the previous definition
In file included from /usr/include/liberasurecode/erasurecode.h:34:0,
                 from src/c/pyeclib_c/pyeclib_c.c:32:
/usr/include/liberasurecode/erasurecode_version.h:29:0: warning: "MINOR"
redefined
 #define MINOR 9
 ^

Please get rid of the MAJOR and MINOR macros (or rename them).

4/ Upload

Anyway, despite the above issues, I was able to upload both
liberasurecode and pyeclib to Debian Sid. Please let me know if you can
address some/all of the above issues directly in upstream.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: Please CC openstack-devel at lists.alioth.debian.org for anything
related to OpenStack packaging in Debian.