[PKG-Openstack-devel] Debconf duplication of information

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Jun 8 08:59:32 UTC 2016

On 06/07/2016 11:58 PM, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> My Apt is configured to only ask for questions above
> whatever level is the default (never changed it - maybe
> I should). That meant that it (preinst script etc) couldn't
> connect to the MySQL server (to create the DB), Keystone (to
> register the service) etc, because it assumed localhost.
>
> Fair enough, I just ran
>
> 	dpkg-reconfigure --force -plow
>
> on those nova packages.

To access remote database, you should "dpkg-reconfigure dbconfig-common"
so that it prompts for remote connections. This is documented here:

http://docs.openstack.org/draft/install-guide-debconf/debconf/debconf-dbconfig-common.html

This is a feature of dbconfig-common, not a bug.

Also, yes, you can lower the priority to medium.

> It would be nice if the different packages could use
> common debconf values.

That's not technically possible, and not really useful. For example, it
could be that you would like to use a different MySQL cluster for
different services. So we really don't want to do that. However, it's
easy to do preseed, especially considering a preseed lib is available.

Last, you can do everything in non-interactive mode if you prefer. It's
a bug if it doesn't do what you want in non-interactive.

> Does it not make more sense if the values is using the "openstack"
> application name instead?
>
> Such as
> 	openstack	auth-host	string	10.0.4.1
>
> or should that be:
> 	openstack	openstack/auth-host	string	10.0.4.1

As I wrote, no.

> I know that the "correct" way is to put one service on one host
> (and then duplicate that host "in-finitum"), but who have that
> much resources?! In real life? A minute few I gather, so would
> it not make more sense to support the "large majority"?

It makes sense to support *everyone*.

> If nothing else, it would make it easier to seed this - one can
> (re)use the same debconf seed file on all hosts.

That is very much what you should do. Again, install openstack-deploy,
and have a look into /usr/share/openstack-deploy/preseed-lib. You can
source that file in your own scripts.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)