[PKG-Openstack-devel] Upgrading Openstack from Icehouse to Juno (and beyond) on Debian jessie?

Ben Rosser bjr at acm.jhu.edu
Sun May 8 02:22:31 UTC 2016

Hi openstack-devel@,

Apologies if this isn't the right place for this question; please let me
know if there is better place to ask.

We've been running Icehouse (the latest version of Openstack packaged in
Debian jessie) for some time now, and are starting to wonder how we'll
go about upgrading-- since Icehouse is now EOL upstream.

The jessie-backports tree contains Liberty. I've been apprehensive about
doing an Openstack upgrade at all, and it seems like, generally, it'd be
preferable to upgrade only from major version to major version? I also
have no idea if Liberty still has the relevant database migrations to
upgrade from Icehouse.

I found https://wiki.debian.org/OpenStackHowto/Upgrades on the debian
wiki, which pointed me to the following package repositories:
http://archive.gplhost.com/debian/pool/. I noticed "juno",
"juno-backports", and "jessie-juno-backports" trees, and figured that
between them I should be able to incrementally upgrade, first to Juno,
then to Kilo, and then Liberty.

However, I quickly realized that "juno" and "juno-backports" are for
*wheezy*, not jessie. And with jessie-backports alone, apt was not
willing to do a full update:

   ipset ipvsadm keepalived libipset3 libnl-genl-3-200 python-kazoo
python-keystonemiddleware python-netifaces python-oslo.db
   cinder-api cinder-common cinder-scheduler cinder-volume glance
glance-api glance-common glance-registry keystone nova-api nova-cert
nova-common nova-conductor nova-consoleauth nova-consoleproxy
nova-scheduler openstack-dashboard
   neutron-common neutron-dhcp-agent neutron-l3-agent
neutron-metadata-agent neutron-plugin-linuxbridge-agent neutron-server
openstack-dashboard-apache python-cinderclient python-glanceclient
python-heatclient python-keystoneclient python-neutron
python-openstack-auth
   python-oslo.config python-oslo.i18n python-oslo.messaging
python-oslo.rootwrap python-oslo.utils python-pycadf python-stevedore
python-taskflow
21 upgraded, 9 newly installed, 0 to remove and 17 not upgraded.

For example, there was an unmet dependency on python-cinder that could
not be satisfied because:

  python-cinder : Depends: python-eventlet (>= 0.15.1) but 0.13.0-2 is to
be installed

And python-eventlet is the latest version.

I'm not sure if I should be filing a bug against Debian (since these are
technically out-of-tree packages?), but it seems like there is a
packaging problem here. Is jessie-juno-backports not, alone, sufficient
to install Openstack Juno on Debian Jessie? Do I need to pull packages
in from jessie-backports itself, and if so, what packages? I don't
suppose there's documentation anywhere that I should be following?

Thanks in advance,
Ben Rosser