[PKG-Openstack-devel] rabbit_* deprecated

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Mon Oct 17 21:49:41 UTC 2016

On Oct 17, 2016, at 10:25 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> but what I hate is that upstream doesn't produce a
> useable config file with the correct options.

Yeah, I know :( :(. I've had a whole bunch of problems regarding this!

> What I've been thinking about was simply write my own python module just
> in order to generate the [keystone_authtoken] correctly. Do you think
> that's reasonable?

I don't know..

The problem(s) becomes almost impossible once you start adding services
that need to talk to each other!

Like Heat for example! It was a huge pain to setup. Not as big as Neutron,
but still bad enough. This because it basically talks to all the other
services. Trove is another (and those configs are horrible!).

But both identity_url and transport_url is in there, so shouldn't be to
bad.

But there's nothing stopping you to either modifying the config file
upstream provides, OR (even better - that lets you actually deprecate
stuff more freely) is to provide your own template config file.

It adds another manual step every time a major release is released,
BUT that's "your job" [as a package developer/maintainer!! :)].

I'd actually recommend you provide your own config file templates
(based as much as possible if you can/want) on the upstream ones.

I think I remember filing at least one issue that was because the
config file didn't come with proper templates, but I think you
closed that because upstream didn't provide proper config files.

Looking at my own host setup scripting, I have at least six config
files locally that I download onto the host when it's setup.

I'm using PXE booting to setup my control/compute nodes, and it
starting to be a little TO complex :(. But that's the only way
I can think of that lets me have 100% control over what's happening
AND keep a track of each change (the whole setup is in GIT repo).

But having all the options for setup with pkgos_inifile() is absolutly
vital for me! Just setting up a Compute node, I make 132 calls to
that! And 406 for a Control node.
--
Life sucks and then you die