[PKG-Openstack-devel] ValueError: Field `instance_uuid' cannot be None

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Oct 18 09:33:07 UTC 2016

On Oct 18, 2016, at 12:55 AM, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Hum... Hardly. I'd prefer if we added a Debian specific Alembic
> migration script, that'd be easier. Either that, or a script to drop in
> the doc folder. Patch welcome. [1]

I'd prefer that any upgrade is automatic. Every other project I've
ever used that had major changes [in db or otherwise] (OpenLDAP comes
to mind - which was really, REALLY scary!) have taken care of this
automatically.

Yes, it's _A LOT_ (!!) of work, takes _A LOT_ of time, but it's in
the "job description"..

I'm threading on thin ice here (and I do apologize a little - try to
read it as a constructive criticism and not a banter), but what did
you think your job as DD/DM was/is? Just download the new version(s),
copy the debian dir from the old version, update the version in the
change log and then run 'debuild'??

Any fool can do THAT! And that's what they do on RedHat/CentOS et all,
but I've said it before - we're Debian GNU/Linux, we're better than
that!

YOU are responsible for making sure ANY upgrade (from basically any
version in the past!) goes smoothly and that downtime for the user
is minimal.

You can not rely on upstream to do this for you, neither can you
put that job on the user..

In some cases, it might be impossible to do the upgrade automatically,
but then you make it VERY clear to the user that he/she have to do that,
and [very clear!] instructions for this is in "file whatever".

I might be a little paranoid, but your company that you do the packing
for, they're making money from Openstack installations and upgrades,
do they not? So it's in their (if not in yours) best interest to not
make this easy..
--
Med ett schysst järnrör slår man hela världen med häpnad
- Sockerconny