[PKG-Openstack-devel] Status?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Fri Jul 14 22:11:41 UTC 2017

On 14 Jul 2017, at 21:08, Thomas Goirand <zigo at debian.org> wrote:

> The point of using Debian live is:

Yes, but you still need to install OS in it. And configure it..

> Oh! So you have written a layer on top of the Debian installer that
> installs OpenStack thanks to preseed?

Yes I did, because yours was shit. I’m sure it works fine in a very simple,
test-me setup, but I set this up the _correct_ way. Well, kind’a - I only
have two controller nodes, mirrors of each other. Should be distributed
more, but I didn’t want to waste more physical resources that I’m more
interested to have dedicated to compute nodes.

> even though my Debian live method maybe has better performance for
> tempest test provisioning).

Yeah, but your testing isn’t good enough. It might test individual parts
very well, but not in a “complete” setup. Which is where I’m guessing
most users will end up sooner or later.

Your script(s) also doesn’t setup everything and doesn’t allow them
to work together in the same cluster. I took one look at that setup
and deemed it shit in a few minutes...

I’ve found numerous bugs and issues with your packages, stuff you’re
not interested in dealing with. My suspicion is that it didn’t fit into your
(or your employers) “agenda”…

You made a good start and the whole Debian GNU/Linux community
is better for it, but I find your work a little short-sighted. With a little
luck, Orlovs job will be as good and of finer quality.

> The initial install of Debian doesn't even exist in the case of Debian
> live, it just boots in 1 minute 30 seconds. Then installing OpenStack
> takes about 20 minutes from the local repository.

That’s what I mean, you’re shortsighted and narrow-minded. You’re not
installing and setting up a whole cluster with all services in twenty minutes!

> Yeah, I agree. Though it has been a resource issue on my side, otherwise
> I would probably used a 2 nodes setup.

Fair enough, but I’m sure resources is a-plenty if one only asks. And
considering that your former employer did sponsor your OS work, finding
some resources shouldn't have been that hard to find.

> That's probably because you're not setting-up the number of thread,

Because this is a production environment, I’m more concerned with
performance than memory. So I’ve bumped up threads, memory usage
etc, etc on all services to reflect this.

> you end up with really too many daemons, which takes too much
> RAM for no reason (at least no reason for such tempest validation).

This is where I STRONGLY disagrees with your previous work. Testing
a few services individually isn’t any where near enough what’s needed.

It IS needed, but an all-in setup needs to be tested as well, to iron out all
those communication and interoperability issues. Which there’s plenty
of unfortunately :(.

Now, as I’ve said all along, your work on the packages have been invauable
and I really WILL miss you on this!! You started something really good,
but now the next generation needs to take up the flag and carry it a long
bit further. That’s the problem with _creating_ something - you end up
working *against* the projects and the user bases best interest.

I’ve worked with open source long enough to have seen it numerous
times, and in many of my favourite projects :(.

I’m not sure that’s what’s happening here, but you left. Voluntarily. Now step
aside and let Orlov handle this. If he does a good job or not, time will tell.
It will be on him, not you or us.

But we’re *ALL* on the same page regarding testing. I want much, MUCH
more and I want it NOW (before anything is uploaded to the repos)!
Orlov want it later, you seems to be happy the way it is.

But it’s Orlovs choice and his call. His alone. He stepped up and volunteered
to do the job, so he’ll be the new leader of the project, so it’s his call.
I for one will support him, no questions asked. Until such he fucks up
my system to much :). Which “you” have done on at least two occasions.

I say “you” (with citation marks), because I know it’s not really your fault,
but with OS. On at least one occasion. But on one, small one in the
very beginning, it was the quality of the packages. They have progressed
miles by then, but still.