[PKG-Openstack-devel] Packaging OpenStack command line clients

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Sun Mar 26 22:53:38 UTC 2017

On 03/26/2017 12:56 PM, David Rabel wrote:
> On 13.03.2017 18:32, David Rabel wrote:
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, we first need to get the Ocata build environment ready.
>>> This mean having a Stretch image that we could use on upstream OpenStack
>>> infra, so package can be built on it using Stretch (the plan is to
>>> already stop supporting Jessie). Then we should get the 2 Debian
>>> repository for stretch-ocata setup as well. Until then, unfortunately,
>>> we can't do much packaging for Ocata or even Pike.
>>
>> Can I also help with that? Or do I have to wait for now?
>
> Is someone actively working on this? Can I somehow help with this? I
> really would like to get Ocata Packaging started. :)
>
> Allthough my focus is on the command line clients, I'd be happy to help
> with any of the other packages or preparation.
> I'm really motivated, because I work a lot with OpenStack and I think
> Debian is one of the greatest projects in FLOSS-world. So, how can I
> help? :)

Here's what need to be fixed so that we have a Stretch image to work on
in OpenStack infra.

The image is built using a script in the openstack-infra/project-config
repository. It is located in ./tools/build-image.sh. I've been trying to
run it with the following environment (which can later on be passed to
the build script):

export DIB_RELEASE="stretch"
export DIB_DEBOOTSTRAP_EXTRA_ARGS=--include=systemd-sysv
export DISTRO=debian-minimal
export DISTRO_NAME=debian
export CONFIG_REF=refs/changes/13/445813/2

then just run:

./tools/build-image.sh

The above currently fails. If we find a way to fix it, then we may have
a Stretch image. I've been trying to find the problem for about 2 weeks.
"pabelanger" on IRC (on #openstack-infra) wrote to me last week that he
will try to find out what's going on "this" week-end (which is already
over). Though I'm not sure if he will.

Please, by all means, try and help. I've exhausted all the ideas I could
have to fix the issue without luck so far. I am too looking forward to
have a build environment so we can all get going with Ocata.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)