[PKG-Openstack-devel] Helping with OpenStack packaging

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Sep 19 21:05:12 UTC 2017

On 09/14/2017 11:33 AM, Ondrej Novy wrote:
> Hi,

> <mailto:zigo at debian.org>>:
>
>     The recommendations from the DPMT don't overrides those from the FTP
>     master team.
>

> you are right, it doesn't override. But any refs to ML with this
> recommendations? And what is recommendation exactly?

I'm sorry, but I don't have time to search for this. Either trust me, or
ask the FTP masters directly (for example on IRC).

The general recommendation is to minimize the number of binary packages,
because over time, this increases the overall load on *all* of the
Debian infrastructure. This is not only dak that we're talking about.
Think BTS, tracker, udd, and all the services in Debian that need to
carry the full database of packages (there's too many of them, I can't
list them using my memory only). The more package there is, the more
resource it takes.

So micro packages are to be avoided if possible.

> Does OS needs CLI tool

That's another problem. I don't have the resources (ie: neither time,
nor a physical server) to perform such a test. Such a test would be
running tempest twice, with and without the cli tools, and see if
there's any regression.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)