[Parted-edge] Crazy idea: emacs interface

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Thu Feb 15 17:35:23 CET 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-14 at 23:57 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > > What about an GNU Emacs interface to libparted?
>
> > I can't tell if this is a joke or not.
>
> I know this might sound senseless, but if we can have a Bash, Gtk+,
> Qt, ncurses and libgnt interface to libparted, why not have a Emacs
> interface too? After all Emacs can edit files, read mail, read news,
> play songs and video, do IRC, browse the Web, etc. why not make it do
> disk partitioning also?

Maybe we should wait for native block device drivers in emacs.  :)

> However I am not sure this makes any sense or not. Just keeps coming
> back to my head, that is why thought about sharing it here. :-)

It does sound senseless, but not any more far-fetched than the other
countless frontends.  But I'm not sure that adding all of these bindings
in to the parted code is the best idea.  Maybe as external projects that
use libparted just so we don't end up with a 70MB tar.gz file for the
parted release.

If we're doing emacs bindings, we should also do PHP bindings.  :)

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA