[Parted-edge] Language bindings.

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 23:17:31 CET 2007

http://parted.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/PlanningEdge

What is the consensus on "Multiple language bindings for libparted"?
Based on some IRC conversations with Anant, David and Otavio we
decided on these options:

a. Use an available automatic binding generator like SWIG to generate
the bindings. To reduce the dependancy on SWIG, we provide the
bindings in the release tarball instead of building at compile time.

b. Hand-coded bindings.

c. Write a customised binding generator.

There were a few grey areas like how to provide the basic 1 to 1
bindings, and the object-oriented bindings on top of them. A special
case is that of the C++ bindings. Since libparted is already natively
in C, how do we do the C++ bindings? Libpartedpp
(http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/libpartedpp) already provides a
hand-coded implementation.

What about the Python bindings?

What are the languages we are going to support? C++ and Python look
favourable since some work has already been done on them.

What is the consensus? I am especially interested in the C++ bindings,
since after C, that is the language I have been working on for a long
time.

Happy hacking,
Debarshi
--
After the game the king and the pawn go into the same box.
                -- Italian proverb