[Parted-edge] Real partition ID support

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 20:13:18 UTC 2007

http://parted.alioth.debian.org/cgi-bin/trac.cgi/wiki/PlanningEdge

This is about the "real partition ID support" that we are planning. Based on
a conversation with Anant and Otavio in #parted, this what I think we need to
do:

a. Provide a mechanism for editing a partitions system identifier. From a
   user's point of view, this is similar to deleting a partition ('rm') and
   then creating (mkpart) it without the file-system with the required
   partition ID. The user can be offered a command, say edpart, to do this.

b. Modify the mkpart command to accept partition IDs too.

c. We already have means to read the partition ID while probing a partition.
   eg., since extended partitions on MS-DOS disk labels do not have any file
   system they are identified on the basis of the partition ID only. Study
   about the partition ID standards and the way the 't' command works in
   FDisk (util-linux).

Am I correct?

Happy hacking,
Debarshi