[Parted-edge] Libraries for file-systems

Matt Davis mattdavis9 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 04:27:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:34:59AM -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:23:31 -0200
> Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > "Matt Davis" <mattdavis9 at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > > I have done a little peeking at the vfs in linux.  Since it seems many
> > > filesystems adhere their fs structures to that in linux...
> > > (linux/fs.h) 'struct file_operations' and such, this might be a
> > > reasonable method for us to approach in proceeding with the re-work of
> > > parted's vfs.
> >
> > We can't _just use_ their VFS struct due license restrictions .. am I
> > missing something?
>
> Yes, guys, please be mindful of the licensing of source code.  GPLv2 only code is not compatible with GPLv3 code.  We cannot copy code from the kernel and place it in libparted.  Be very careful with what you are doing.

That is true.  I would rather have our own, creating is more fun than
rearranging :-)  Likewise, we can learn from what is in the kernel, and try to
produce something stronger/flexable than what is already there.  I assume the
liscense is "backwards-compatible" in such that V3 can go into V2 but V2 cant go
into V3, if so and our implementation is superior, they might want to rip off of
us :-)

-Matt