[Parted-edge] [RFC] Proposal: 1.9.0 release as stable

Matt Davis mattdavis9 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 04:53:45 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 07:34:53PM -0200, Otavio Salvador wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I did a look on the changes we have on master and they're really
> small comparing with stable branch. It looks like we'll take years to
> release this code if we don't change our plans now and then I propose
> the following:
>
>  - work on history patch from Matt;

Yay!

>  - check API and hide architecture and disk specific things as
>    possible;

I agree, while I have not been on parted nearly as long as most of you all, I
feel that code-creep can drive parts of the project to be come
less-than-encapsulated.  It would not be bad to perform some cleanup, if at
least peek around to see what is exposing itself and shouldn't be.

>  - release 1.9.0 as stable
>
> Once it's done, I think we ought to change the way we work to _aways_
> use stable-1.9.x (since it's going to be the stable one) as work basis
> and after every stable release, merge it on master.
>
> master specific things will be decided depending how deeply the
> changes are.
>
> The things that we ought to start to work for "next master" could be:
>
>  - new VFS

Yes, my hopes are, as seen in the previous thread, to work with you all to
incoporate/augment a more flexable soultion probably basing much off of what is
already in parted, and hinting-off a few tricks from the Linux kernel if needed.

>  - new command line utility using modules

>  - spliting of fat code on a library

This is a good suggestion, since it can help us solidify a vfs mentioned above.

> Please, comment :-D
ding ding

-Matt