[parted-edge] [Parted-edge] Libraries for file-systems

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Sat Nov 3 20:42:13 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 23:27:39 -0500
Matt Davis <mattdavis9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 09:34:59AM -0400, David Cantrell wrote:
> > On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 08:23:31 -0200
> > Otavio Salvador <otavio at debian.org> wrote:

> > > We can't _just use_ their VFS struct due license restrictions .. am I
> > > missing something?
> >
> > Yes, guys, please be mindful of the licensing of source code.  GPLv2 only code is not compatible with GPLv3 code.  We cannot copy code from the kernel and place it in libparted.  Be very careful with what you are doing.
>
> That is true.  I would rather have our own, creating is more fun than
> rearranging :-)  Likewise, we can learn from what is in the kernel, and try to
> produce something stronger/flexable than what is already there.  I assume the
> liscense is "backwards-compatible" in such that V3 can go into V2 but V2 cant go
> into V3, if so and our implementation is superior, they might want to rip off of
> us :-)

You have to account for the 'or any later version' that can be on GPL-licensed works.

If a work is GPLv2 only (that is, it lacks the 'or any later version' clause), it's not compatible with GPLv3, in both directions.  You cannot put GPLv3 code in to a GPLv2 only work and you can't put code from the GPLv2 only work in to the GPLv3 work.

If a work is GPLv2 or any later version (GPLv2+), it is compatible with GPLv3.  Code from either work can be combined because the most recent license version takes effect and the terms of that license must be complied with.

The big problems for us are:
1) The Linux kernel source, with is GPLv2 only
2) The e2fsprogs source, with is GPLv2 only

The latter I am working on, but the former is not really something that I think any of us will have any direct impact on.  It's worth noting here because even copying parts of the Linux kernel source and using it in parted *is* in violation of the GPL terms.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Westford, MA