[parted-edge] [Parted-edge] [RFC] Proposal: 1.9.0 release as stable

Otavio Salvador otavio at debian.org
Mon Nov 5 04:42:29 UTC 2007

David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com> writes:

>> Once it's done, I think we ought to change the way we work to _aways_
>> use stable-1.9.x (since it's going to be the stable one) as work basis
>> and after every stable release, merge it on master.
>
> I'm not sure that work flow makes the most sense.  I think we should
> be using master for the main work (even for stable) and when we do a
> new major release (as in, a new parted-X.Y.0 release), make a branch
> from that.

Yes. This is what will be done.

> Major new overhauls should be done as branches from master and then
> merged in right away.  The stable branches will receive the minor
> bug fixes and we can roll those back to master.  But the focus
> should be on master.

No.

Doing the development (besides specific cases were we does know that
it isn't going to be accepted on stable anyway, as for example api
changes or vfs work) it ought to be done against stable so if we
_don't want_ it to be merged there we can merge it on master instead
but if we use master as basis there's no way to merge it on stable
(except pick each commit what will break the history like we've been
doing).

>> The things that we ought to start to work for "next master" could be:
>>
>>  - new VFS
>>  - new command line utility using modules
>>  - spliting of fat code on a library
>
> I think all of these should be worked on, but as branches off master
> and then rolled back in when they are ready.  A new command line
> utility (please, someone say a replacement for the parted(8)
> utility) is a good example.  Work on that, when it's ready, it gets
> merged in to master.

All those, yes since they're major features and there's no risk for
merging it on stable bug bugfixing ought to be done on stable and
commited there so we do merge it when we release poing releases.

- --
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 GNU/Linux User: 239058     GPG ID: 49A5F855
 you the whole house."