[Parted-edge] bootstrap problems building parted

Jim Meyering jim at meyering.net
Sat Sep 15 11:56:46 UTC 2007

"Frodo Baggins" <frodo.drogo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I get the following errors/notes when I run ./bootstrap
> Any ideas?
> configure.ac:198: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_DISABLE_SHARED
> configure.ac:200: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> configure.ac:491: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LD
>
> END
> I ran ``m4 aclocal.m4'' and ran bootstrap again and the above output
> was obtained.

You need versions of the tools that know about each other.  In particular,
automake (aclocal) has to know about libtool-provided .m4 files.

If you've built your own version of one of those tools,
or if your distro messed up, you'll have to build/install all tools
(m4, autoconf, automake, libtool) with the same prefix, e.g.,
--prefix=$HOME/autotools, and then add $HOME/autotools/bin early
in $PATH and rerun bootstrap.