[Pbuilder-maint] Should pbuilder create /etc/mtab

Junichi Uekawa dancer at netfort.gr.jp
Wed Oct 26 09:39:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

> libfilesystem-ruby fails to build because one of the tests in its test
> suite fails when it is unable to open /etc/mtab.  According to the
> FHS,
>
> > The following files, or symbolic links to files, must be in /etc if
> > the corresponding subsystem is installed:

> >  mtab	Dynamic information about filesystems (optional)
>
> I'm not sure what the FHS means by "if the corresponding subsystem is
> installed".
>
> Should pbuilder create /etc/mtab?

/etc/mtab would be one of the things that the system will
create/clean-up in one of the boot processes, so
I think pbuilder should be the one to cover up, yes.

I think adding a fake entry, or a symbollic link
to /proc/self/mounts should work, but
since it's inside chroot, the contents of
/etc/mtab would be rather difficult to maintain.

I think pbuilder-user-mode-linux would need special consideration
too, but that would be a lower priority.

regards,
	junichi