[Pbuilder-maint] Re: /dev/std{in|out|err}

Junichi Uekawa dancer at netfort.gr.jp
Sat Jul 22 13:59:17 UTC 2006

> I just tried to build bash_3.1-4 (from etch) using pbuilder with etch
> and I noticed that this build requires /dev/std{in|out|err} to exist,
> but the bootstrap does not create it. So I'm wondering were to report
> the bug, pbuilder, makedev or bash?

I think, makedev.

research follows:

In fact, debootstrap devices.tar.gz is alarmingly small. I don't think
this is enough number of device nodes...
no hdX and sdX???

$ tar tfz /usr/lib/debootstrap/devices.tar.gz
dev/
dev/kmem
dev/mem
dev/core
dev/null
dev/port
dev/zero
dev/ram
dev/full
dev/random
dev/urandom
dev/tty
dev/ram0
dev/ram1
dev/ram2
dev/ram3
dev/ram4
dev/ram5
dev/ram6
dev/ram7
dev/ram8
dev/ram9
dev/ram10
dev/ram11
dev/ram12
dev/ram13
dev/ram14
dev/ram15
dev/ram16
dev/loop0
dev/loop1
dev/loop2
dev/loop3
dev/loop4
dev/loop5
dev/loop6
dev/loop7
dev/ptmx

cdebootstrap does 'MAKEDEV generic', and it doesn't seem to be
generating /dev/stdin.

In fact, I think MAKEDEV fd (which should be creating /dev/stdin etc.)
is broken for some reason. Why?

root at dancer64:/dev# /sbin/MAKEDEV fd
root at dancer64:/dev#
root at dancer64:/dev# ls -l stdin