[Pbuilder-maint] pdebuild cleaning before build-depend installed

Loïc Minier lool+alioth at via.ecp.fr
Fri Nov 3 18:43:42 CET 2006

        Hi,

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006, Paul van Tilburg wrote:
> A few days ago I switched over to using cowbuilder as my main
> chroot-build-engine for pbuilder since my machine is not really fast.
> This also meant that I had to switch from my usual 'pdebuild
> --use-pdebuild-internal' to plain 'pdebuild', since the first one didn't
> seem to work well with cowbuilder (?).

 I just tried with --use-pdebuild-internal, and I got it working by
 adding "passwd" at the end of the "apt-get install" line in
 /usr/lib/pbuilder/pdebuild-internal:34.  I've committed a cleaner patch
 for this.

> Anyway, I have noticed that calling plain pdebuild does something
> differently:
> Somehow it calls the 'clean' target before the chroot is built and the
> build-depends are installed.  If the clean target somehow really needs
> the build-depends which I haven't installed on my system, pdebuild bails
> out and I never get to the actual chroot-building part, in which it
> would've installed them.  Is this meant to be this way?  Is it a bug?

 Well, if you check the documentation of --use-pdebuild-internal:
       --use-pdebuild-internal
              Uses  a  different implementation of pdebuild, which calls clean
              and build inside the chroot, using bind-mounts.
 I'm not sure why it's like that though.

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <lool at dooz.org>