[Pbuilder-maint] A sane guess at default Debian mirror for pbuilder

Junichi Uekawa dancer at netfort.gr.jp
Sun May 27 15:25:50 UTC 2007

Hi,

After 6 years or so of setting ftp.jp.debian.org as default for
pbuilder, I'm finally determined that it shouldn't stay like this.  So
I'd like to have some default guessing to happen.  Preferably I don't
want to ask via debconf, since users should have already answered the
question at installation-time.

Looking for prior art I found the following:

piuparts:
	Looks at first 'deb' line from /etc/apt/sources.list
		-> Can't handle /etc/apt/sources.list.d
		-> Assumes that the top entry is the best

emdebian-tools:
	Using 'apt-cache policy' to obtain information
		-> told on IRC that it loses port number info.
		-> probably picks up security mirrors too, which
			can't really be used for running debootstrap.

debootstrap:
	uses ftp.debian.org as default mirror.

Probably difficult parts:
	handling CD-ROM installation
	mixed stable-backports / security / s-p-u / ubuntu / whatever installation.

I'm inclined to add a default configuration which uses the first
usable line starting with 'deb http://' from /etc/apt/sources.list,
and maybe check with a debconf question.

Any good ideas?

regards,
	junichi
--