Extending pbuilder for cross-builds

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Wed Feb 11 22:15:28 UTC 2009

Hello,

Let me introduce myself. My name is Mikhail Gusarov, and I'm working on
small Debian-inspired Linux distribution for embedded devices
(http://iplinux.org).

For IPlinux I patched pbuilder to support cross-building of packages
(see the patch [1]), and now would like to discuss the way to extend
pbuilder, so such changes may be added without patching it.

It seems that only change needed in pbuilder is abstracting obtaining of
Build-Depends from debian/control: this operation can be made
customizable and it should be provided with the arguments passed to
pbuilder itself (e.g. it is necessary to have target architecture passed
to build-depends parser to properly extract the cross-dependencies from
the XCS-Cross-Build-Depends field, added by IPlinux).

[1] http://git.openinkpot.org/~dottedmag/pbuilder.git/?a=commitdiff;h=d1f3ae0b371b530ee9dd726c32438e8f2787943f